Dog Owners: Beware of Wild Mushrooms in Santa Barbara


 

Update: Monday, 2/9/15:

A Santa Barbara resident reached out to me over the weekend to share her story. I won't disclose the reader's name because I'd like to respect her privacy, but this is her message: 

"I am writing so heavy hearted asking for your help to spread the word to Santa Barbara County that we have 2 FATAL Amanita mushrooms, "Death Cap" and "Angel of Death", that are growing in abundance right now!!! They like to grow under and around Oak trees. We brought our new precious puppy home last week and only had him 2 days and the unimaginable happened! He died from the Amanita Death Cap we had never heard of and NO idea was a possibility to grow at our right at our front door entry. Our yard is well maintained but unfortunately we have a lot of Oaks so this can happen to anyone!! FATAL TO ALL CHILDREN OR DOGS."

pet sitting, dog walking, dog sitter, cat sitter, santa barbara 

The mushrooms this reader is talking about are the Amanita phalloides (Death Cap), and the Amanita ocreata (Angel of death). These are two variety of the amanita genus. 

To the right are photos of the two types of Amanita mushrooms, though I strongly caution all dog owners not to try identifying any mushrooms if you are not well educated and trained. If you see fungus growing in dog parks or on trails, make sure your pets do not have the opportunity to graze, sniff, or even play nearby. I strongly encourage dog owners to be aware of what is growing on your property where your pets and children may be playing or exploring. If you find any fungus on your property, it is best to be prudent and remove it using a shovel, gloves and a trash bag. If you are worried about inhaling spores while removing mushrooms from your yard, don't hesitate to use a dust mask.

Scroll down to see photos of various fungi I have found all over Santa Barbara - some look really neat, but it's best to admire and keep dogs away!


 

With the recent and long awaited rains in Santa Barbara, mushrooms seem to be popping up EVERYWHERE. While rarely fatal, mushrooms can be highly toxic to dogs, and have been known to cause canine kidney and liver failure in the Santa Barbara area. 

Click to watch a video from KSBY about a local dog's death after ingesting a wild mushroom.

Keep a close eye on dogs who like to graze on grass, as they may happen upon a mushroom and decide to taste it. Mushrooms can pop up anywhere and your dogs will come across them in your neighborhood, while hiking, or at the dog park. With so many species of mushrooms out there, don't waste time trying to identify them. If you see mushrooms, discourage your dog from investigating and keep walking. 

I have seen mushrooms in three Santa Barbara dog parks lately, a common place for fungi to pop up. Another reason to pick up dog poop- mushrooms thrive in and around poop. Gross, right? So pick up after your dogs- and encourage others to do the same. Mutt Mitts are everywhere in Santa Barbara- there are no excuses.

You are much less likely to come across wild mushrooms at a dog park that is maintained daily. Learn how to choose the BEST dog park for you in Santa Barbara

 

Symptoms of toxic mushroom ingestion include: 

  • upset stomach followed by
  • vomiting
  • diarrhea
  • excessive drooling
  • watery eyes
  • a slow heartbeat
  • depression
  • lethargy
  • abdominal pain
  • yellowing of the eyes (jaundice)
  • seizures

If you think your dog may have ingested wild mushrooms, follow these tips: 

  • Get your dog to an emergency vet within 20-30 minutes
  • Contact pet poison control at 800-213-6680 or petpoisonhelpline.com
  • Obtain a sample of the mushroom for analysis
    • Never touch wild mushrooms with your bare hands. You can use a poop bag to pick up and contain the sample, and then keep it refrigerated. Be sure to write "DO NOT EAT" on the bag.

 

 

Anamita phalloides growth cycle
Amanita ocreata
Anamita ocreata
Hope Ranch
Hope Ranch
Orange fungi growing at the base of oak at Tucker's Grove in Goleta
True Morels (has a poisonous lookalike)
Share this article with your friends:

15 Responses

  1. Helene
    | Reply

    Wow that was strange. I just wrote an incredibly
    lοng commеnt but after I clicked submit mу commеnt diԁn’t appеar.
    Grrrr… well I’m not writinmg аll that over again. Anyway, just wantеd to ѕay great
    blog!

  2. Tara Joy
    | Reply

    Oh no! Thanks for the information for when we get a dog!

  3. CatK
    | Reply

    That is great information, I love my dogs so much and am always looking for more information to help keep them safe, healthy and happy!

  4. Brenda
    | Reply

    Great tip to know for when I get a new puppy 🙂

  5. lauryn Hock
    | Reply

    I am glad you are such a cautious dog sitter!

  6. Tiffany
    | Reply

    Thanks for the informative post!!

  7. Jamie
    | Reply

    Good info..I didn’t know mushrooms were toxic to dogs!

  8. Angela
    | Reply

    Thank you for sharing, we live out in the country, one of our friends dog died come to find out it was mushrooms as well

  9. Lou @ Mommy Sanest
    | Reply

    Wow. This is really good to know. I’m a dog owner and had no idea.

  10. Amanda
    | Reply

    I never thought about wild mushrooms! Thanks for the reminder!

  11. angela@spinachtiger
    | Reply

    Thanks this is one to share. I’m a dog owner and dog lover.

  12. Debbie
    | Reply

    Extremely important post! We have had issues with mushrooms in our backyard, and the local media has covered the danger of these to dogs. I go out and do a scan of the back and use a shovel to dig down deep to scoop them up, but they do come back quick in the summer. So many dogs will eat grass and could accidentally eat a bit of the mushroom, so it is important to be aware.

  13. Kim
    | Reply

    I have 3 fur-babies and this is priceless info to know. Thanks so much for informing us.

  14. Nikki @ MBAsahm
    | Reply

    Great tips here! It’s terrifying how many dangers there are for our pets, especially in places like dog parks where we assume they’re safe!

  15. Valerie
    | Reply

    I remember seeing this on FB- thanks for the warning!

Leave a Reply